Planning an outdoor adventure? Thinking of exploring the wilderness? Interested to go for a hike? If you intend to do these things anytime soon, I suggest that you invest in the right gear. This should include the best survival boots, which will provide the freedom to move.
With the right footwear, it will be possible to walk on all types of terrain without worrying of slipping and suffering from other problems. It will also make sure that you will feel comfortable throughout your journey.
The options for survival clothing and footwear can be endless. Nonetheless, this should not give you an excuse to decide in haste. Read the rest of this guide and we’ll help you make the right decision!
- What is a Survival Boot?
- What are the Parts of a Survival Boot?
- What to Look for in the Best Survival Boots
- The Best Survival Boots to Buy
- 1. Salomon Quest 4D 2 GTX Hiking Boot
- 2. Vasque Men’s St. Elias Gore-Tex Backpacking Boot
- 3. Timberland Men’s Chocorua Trail Mid Hiking Boot
- 4. Scarpa Men’s Kinesis Pro GTX Hiking Boots
- 5. Sorel Men’s Conquest Boot
- 6. Ahnu Women’s Sugarpine Hiking Boot
- 7. Maelstrom Women’s Tac Force Tactical Work Boot
- 8. Keen Women’s Targhee II Hiking Boot
- 9. Lowa Women’s Renegade GTX Mid Hiking Book
- 10. Columbia Women’s Newton Ridge Plus Hiking Boot
What is a Survival Boot?
As its name implies, it is simply a footwear that will allow you to survive the outdoors when you are engaged in activities like hiking and hunting, among other things. Compared to regular shoes, survival boots are more rugged in terms of construction, making it able to survive the extreme outdoor conditions.
When you are wearing survival boots, you will be able to walk and run freely. There will be no inhibitions. Your feet will be protected from the cold. It keeps it dry. It is also breathable for your highest level of comfort. It allows you to survive in the open!
What are the Parts of a Survival Boot?
Knowing the parts of a survival boot is important so that you can have a fair assessment of the options that are available. All of these parts should work with each other to deliver the best in terms of comfort.
- Upper: This is the part of the shoe that you can see the most and will have a huge impact on style. Nubuck leather is the most common material that is used. It provides protection from extreme temperatures. It also keeps the foot dry. The upper should also have mesh, which is great in terms of breathability and comfort.
- Insole: Found inside the footwear, this is exactly where the foot rests. It should provide excellent support. More often than not, it is made of a molded material and can provide personalized fit based on the shape of your foot. Arch support is an important consideration.
- Outsole: It is the part that touches the ground and usually made of rubber. It should be flexible enough to follow the movements of your foot. Another important element is traction, which will provide a strong grip, regardless of the terrain.
- Tongue: It is named as such because it actually looks like a tongue. This is the flap that covers the part of the shoe where you insert your foot. It helps in keeping the dirt and the debris out of the boots.
- Laces: The laces are used for tightening and loosening the fit of the boot. It will allow you to customize the fit based on what you are most comfortable with. Stay away from survival footwear without laces. The eyelets should also be big enough to easily insert laces.
What to Look for in the Best Survival Boots
As you try to narrow down the options for the best all-around survival boots, here are some of the most important things that you need to take into consideration:
- Materials: From the upper to the outsole, evaluating the materials is important as it directly impacts style, durability, comfort, and protection, among other things. Different parts can be made of different materials, including leather, mesh, rubber, and fabric.
- Fit: Like in the case of other footwear, the fit is king. From the width to the length, choose the right size so that you will not have to compromise your comfort. Refer to their sizing chart as different manufacturers may have different size guidelines.
- Waterproofing: The best outdoor survival shoes offer waterproof construction. Whether crossing a shallow river or walking in the rain, your foot should be protected. When it is dry, it will be easier to move around and you will surely feel more comfortable.
- Comfort: To be comfortable, it is important that it is made of breathable materials and that it can encourage air circulation. It should also offer a good range of motion and flexibility. It should not make you suffer from pain, especially during an extended period of use.
- Ankle Protection: To be provided with peace of mind, it must offer excellent protection to the ankle. Rolling your ankle can be prevented with such feature. When in situations wherein you have to twist and bend your ankle, the right level of protection provides support that you need, especially on an uneven terrain.
- Support: Protection is important not only for the ankle but for the entire foot. With this, look for a shoe that can offer the best in terms of support and stability. Without the right support, you will most likely suffer from strain and injuries.
- Compatibility: This means that you should choose survival boot with a design to match the terrain that you will be treading. Will it be muddy? Is it going to be wet and slippery? These things will make it easier to choose a design that suits your needs and preferences.
The Best Survival Boots to Buy
If you are unsure of which brand and model can provide the best bang for the buck, this section has got you covered. We will list down some of the top picks that you might want to take into consideration.
1. Salomon Quest 4D 2 GTX Hiking Boot
Being lightweight and comfortable are two of the things that we like the most in this footwear, which is made of a combination of Nubuck leather and textile. The manufacturer used materials with minimal weight while making sure that the durability is not compromised in any way.
The sole features High Traction Contragrip technology, which allows it to have an incredible grip on all types of terrains.
It also features Gore-Tex waterproof construction, making it ideal even for outdoor use. You can have an assurance that your foot will stay dry.
To make it even more ideal for outdoor use, it also features 4D Chassis technology, which ensures excellent control and protection for the foot, making it great for outdoor use.
2. Vasque Men’s St. Elias Gore-Tex Backpacking Boot
With an all-leather upper and synthetic sole, this is another option that can be promising in your search for men’s survival boots. It also comes with Gore-Tex waterproof liners, which will offer breathability for your feet.
In the midsole, there is an EVA footbed, which provides a contoured shape based on the shape of your foot. With this, you can expect personalized comfort. More than providing cushioning, it is also known for its shock absorption.
The Vibram rubber outsole is also a plus. The latter improves traction, even on a rugged terrain. It also ensures stability.
3. Timberland Men’s Chocorua Trail Mid Hiking Boot
The waterproof leather construction of the upper of the shoe is one of the reasons why it can be a great choice for survival boots. It also comes with a rubber outsole, which is flexible for your ease of movement and has excellent traction even when the ground is slippery.
It also has some of the most common features that you can see in survival boots, including a Gore-Tex membrane for waterproof protection and EVA midsole for superior cushioning throughout its use. For more comfort on the underfoot, the shoe also features a removable sock liner.
4. Scarpa Men’s Kinesis Pro GTX Hiking Boots
One of the best features of this rugged survival boots is the micro-pulley hardware lacing, which will make it effortless to adjust the laces.
It keeps you dry and comfortable when you are outdoors. The upper is made of durable Nubuck leather. There is also Gore-Tex Performance Comfort Lining that keeps the feet dry. With the full rubber rand, on the other hand, you will enjoy protection from abrasions. It also features an all-terrain sole that is great for all-weather performance. Meanwhile, with an Active Fit insole, it conforms to the shape and movement of your foot.
5. Sorel Men’s Conquest Boot
Even in the most extreme outdoor conditions, this model will prove to be a dependable choice. The exterior is made of a combination of leather and synthetic textile. The footbed is molded EVA. Meanwhile, the outsole is made of injected thermal rubber, which is also waterproof. With its overall construction, this will survive even heavy snow!
Based on the technical specifications from the manufacturer, it has a cold-weather rating of -40 degrees Fahrenheit, keeping your feet warm during winter. It also comes with 400 grams of Thinsulate Ultra, making the boots unrivaled in terms of the insulation that it can provide.
6. Ahnu Women’s Sugarpine Hiking Boot
If you are looking for survival boots for women, this is one product that deserves to be on the top of your list. With its vibrant color, this will be an ideal choice for stylish women. It is made of a combination leather, suede, and mesh.
Aside from the waterproof construction, another thing that makes it a great survival boot is the Numentum Technology. The latter is beneficial for the stability and efficiency of every stride that you make.
The padded and gusseted tongue is also great as it is comfortable, unlike others that can cause abrasion.
7. Maelstrom Women’s Tac Force Tactical Work Boot
This water-resistant survival footwear comes at an affordable price. It is one of the cheapest from the products that are mentioned in this post. The upper is made of leather and fabric while the outsole is rubber. It is toe-stitched and has athletic cemented construction for durability.
It has a shock-absorbing midsole, which features a proprietary technology for maximum support and comfort, especially when doing high-impact activities. It has an excellent cushioning system for your comfort.
The boot also has a moisture-fighting technology to keep bacteria out and to keep it smelling fresh.
8. Keen Women’s Targhee II Hiking Boot
This survival footwear is made of waterproof Nubuck leather. It is a mid-boot and the shaft is approximately 4.5 inches from the arch. The heel, meanwhile, is approximately 1.5-inch and the platform is 1-inch.
It features the Keen.Dry technology, which has been exclusively developed by the manufacturer to provide excellent waterproofing in their footwear.
Another innovation that makes this product impressive is the metatomical design of the footbed. It provides support for the arch and comfort for the foot. To add, there is hydrophobic mesh lining, which encourages superior air circulation.
9. Lowa Women’s Renegade GTX Mid Hiking Book
Whether it is hunting or hiking, among other activities, this survival footwear can be another promising choice. It has Nubuck leather in the upper. The sole is Vibram Evo, which offers excellent traction. It also comes with an injected polyurethane midsole, Gore-Tex lining, and Mono-wrap frame construction.
Another thing that is excellent about the construction of the footwear is the full-length nylon shank, which is great for stability and the absorption of shock, making sure of your comfort.
10. Columbia Women’s Newton Ridge Plus Hiking Boot
With a combination of leather and mesh upper, you can expect durability and comfort with this boot. The leather is flexible enough for ease of movement while mesh will provide ventilation that is essential for your comfort. The full-grain leather has been treated with Omni-shield, making it resist water and stain.
It has a Tech-lite midsole, which provides lightweight cushioning for high-energy return.
The outsole, on the other hand, has the Omni-Grip technology, an innovative feature that improves traction of the rubber.
In sum, investing in the best survival boots is a necessity if you are the type of person who enjoys the outdoors a lot. When you are wearing the right footwear, you will feel more comfortable and you won’t have to complain of pain, even after long hours of trekking or any other intense activity. The right footwear can take you to the best places without compromising safety and comfort!